Sunday 17 April 2011

Bikram Continues In My Life...

It's been a few weeks now since I completed my challenge and as with many who take on the challenge, I've become addicted. I crave the sweat and the heat, I like the way I feel 'lighter' after each class, not having to think about anything for a whole 90 minutes but the yoga, is great for the mind. I am also liking the physical changes it is making to my body, it's not so much about weight loss for me but my body shape has changed , it's much more toned and defined. 

I feel like I am overcoming what I imagine would be a drug addiction; I've gone from going everyday to a couple of times a week. Unfortunately, I can't commit to doing it more than 2 or 3 times a week now as (1) it's expensive and (2) I have a gym membership too and just wouldn't have the time to do it more than 2/3 times a week.

I've spoken to many about the challenge because they want to know not because I am forcing them to listen to my experiences! I feel like a sales woman for Bikram Yoga, many who I have spoken to have said they would love to try it, maybe they were being nice?!

One of my very early entries of this blog I spoke about a posture called Fixed Firm Pose - Supta Vajrasana, I was excited about it because it was one that I hadn't been able to do, ever! It appears, I still can't, I got a correction in class last week. The thing is that I'd been able to bring my body all the way back but actually I've been doing it wrong, I've been cheating, my feet are meant to touch the sides of my hips and mine don't, ahhh gutted! The start of the this position you are supposed to be on your knees, legs open, feet touching the sides of your hips and your bum should sink to the ground, mine doesn't. What I've been doing is opening my legs and knees wide to sink my bum to the ground but then feet aren't touching the hips. I've always had a issue with my hips being tight and this is one of those postures where it can be a disadvantage. Until I can sink my bottom to the ground with feet touching hips, I am not to bend backwards so I just have to sit upright on my knees for now...I will get that bum on the ground one day!

I'm in Japan at the moment on holiday and Bikram is big thing over here too I'm told but haven't found a studio yet. Some people have said to me, you know the postures, why don't you just do it on your own. It's not the same I cry! There's no heat and sweat and no teacher encouraging you on as you get deeper into the postures. I also don't like exercising on my own, I much prefer to be in a class even if I don't know people because of  the atmosphere and that feeling that everyone is working together to achieve the same goals. I can't think of  anything worse than bashing away on a treadmill..but each to their own. 

x

1 comment:

  1. yay so good to hear you have carried on practicing. So many people never come back after a challenge or break, like a holiday. You're habit is formed!!

    Ah Fixed Firm, 90% of the time my knees are wide apart which is okay but yes most important those feet are tucked in close. No penguin flippers! It takes some people years to get their butt on the floor & feet in the right place. My ankles used to kill but now they are okay.

    I agree, home practice is not the same, you need the group energy & direction/motivation. Keep up the good work!! :-)

    ReplyDelete